Thursday, March 10, 2011

Passing Days 12/7/2010

It has been 12 days since Thanksgiving and I have not taken a single day off from working in the field since. I need a break. Each day gets a little harder: harder to roll out of bed on time, leave on time, walk out to the field site, which seems farther each day, and to lay down traps quickly. My hands are so dry the cracks in my fingers often break open and bleed on the traps. I use lotion and gloves, but the damage has been done and it is a slow road to recovery. I may need a manicure when I get home. Thankfully the wind and dry climate has been more merciful to my lips.

We did well today with 4 individuals in Colony D (4). As I was recording the third capture’s alarm calls, the wind picked up and that familiar sound of wind passing over enormous wings caused me to look up. You will never imagine what I saw. I did not believe it myself. I counted 20 condors riding the thermal above our heads. TWENTY. Both the coruro and I were quite distressed about the whole situation. The wind continued to be rather harsh today, but as the day came to a close, and I was busy fending off hungry, rambunctious animals of the grazing kind from the trapping site. Suddenly, Gaba brought to my attention that there was a bird of prey hovering, much like a kite (raptor) would. We watched dive after what we only could image to be lizards or a tasty coruro. The distribution of the bailarĂ­n did not reach this altitude, so we decided to investigate. As soon as I say the distinctive bars over the eyes, I knew it was a peregrine falcon. Gorgeous.

The summer Chilean trail horses.

I went back to my herd which comprised of some familiar faces I had come to recognize in the past three weeks. I realized last weekend that the horses living in what are being used as pasture lands were used as trail horses for tourists visiting La Parva. They are used to people, but my impression is that they are trained and behave out of fear of people. None will let me touch them, but I get close enough to, before they move away. There was a foal in this herd today. He was so adorable, playing with the rocks in the water. He took an interest in me and got rather close, but was weary and went to hide behind mom after a while.

Last night Gaba made a stew out of the lentils I had soaked the night before. It was fantastic. Tonight, I will attempt spaghetti… And maybe some garlic bread.

I am trying hard not to spend the moments between bouts of activity, working, and housekeeping, breaking down the days I have left until I am on a plane home into hours. I wish I had internet, so that I could check in with family each day, but I am down to pennies when it comes to buying anything other than food or supplies. Field research comes at a cost. I’ll be home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment